- 25 Bass Over 5lbs
- Secrets And Results!
- Contact-Book Trip
- Best Fishing Knots
- VIP Fishing Club
- How To Choose Guide
- Fishing Techniques
- Fishing Locations
- Alabama Rig
- Pro Tournament Results
- Best Gifts For Bass Fisherman
- Everglades Bass Fishing Report
- Clients Catching Bass
- Lake Okeechobee
- Everglades Holiday Park
- Alligator Alley
- Peacock Bass
- Gator Boys
- The Turtle Man
- Florida Everglades Bass Fishing Guides
- Best Spots To Bass Fish South Florida
- Snakehead Fishing South Florida
- Loxahatchee Bass Fishing
- Curation & Excerpting Policy
Best Everglades Bass Fishing Guides Versus Best Bass Fishing Lure - The buzz about the Alabama rig is incredible. Every where I go bass fisherman are asking: What is it… where can I get one… and… is it legal. But what is the more important when you want to catch MONSTER bass – the bass fishing lure or the bass fisherman?
First, here’s what the Alabama Rig is and if it is legal for a great a great article….
The lure is called “The Alabama Rig.” It is actually several lures combined on a wire frame similar to an umbrella … known commonly among anglers as “an umbrella rig.”
Umbrella rigs first came along for saltwater anglers, and then freshwater striper fishermen well over a decade ago. The rig is supposed to resemble an entire school of baitfish in the water. They were used exclusively by anglers who were trolling rather than casting. Umbrella rigs became so effective for striper fishermen however that the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Commission amended the law, allowing only a single hook on an umbrella. In other words, the umbrella might include six or eight lures, but only one (the trailing lure) can have a hook.
An umbrella rig is defined as an array of more than three artificial lures or baits (with or without hooks) used by a single rod and reel combination. Each blade of a spinner bait would be considered a lure. If the hook sizes are size 8 or smaller, all lures or baits may have hooks (single, double, or treble). If any hooks on the umbrella rig are hook size 6 or larger, then only one lure or bait in the array may have a hook and that hook must be a single hook. Trolling is not allowed in bass tournaments however and the Alabama Rig is made to be cast. The lure Elias was casting on Guntersville included five lures, all with large hooks. After Elias had such amazing results at Guntersville it set off a firestorm of interest among area bass anglers. But the law is different in Alabama and Tennessee. After a somewhat erroneous news release from FLW and a barrage of questions from Tennessee angler, the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency has been forced to clarify state law.
If an angler reduces the number of baits attached to the Alabama Rig to three or less it would not meet the definition of an umbrella rig and could be fished with any size or style of hook.
So unless Tennessee anglers use a hook size generally considered too small for bass fishing, they cannot use the exact same lure Elias used for his recent win on Guntersville. If they use the “Alabama Rig,” it can only include three lures with appropriately sized hooks.
“We didn’t just make this regulation up to ban the Alabama Rig in Tennessee. It’s been on the books for almost 10 years” said TWRA Chief of Fisheries Bobby Wilson. “In effect since 2002, it was established over concerns about catching too many fish at the same time and foul hooking large sport fish, primarily striped bass and hybrid striped bass.”
Of course, many anglers question how long this new lure craze will last.
The important thing for all bass fisherman to understand is that all astates have different laws. If you have any question – you should contact your state fish and game. Believe me, it is not worth getting caught using an illegal lure. And you mat just have to modify the Alabama rig… like not having hooks in a couple baits… if you still want to use it in certain states.
But, as I have mentioned many times and in many bass fishing article… the most important thing is the fisherman – not the lure.
Learning how to locate bass… cast with pin-point accuracy with feather soft landings… retrieve different lures in different and unique ways…. when and how to set the hook properly and how to play and land a big bass… are the skills that will led to to catch bass consistently. To do that you must have someone teach you the right things and practice them long enough until you master them.
There are no short cute. But you must make sure you have the proper information. Because if you practice the wrong things – you will only master how to NOT catch bass.
That’s why, when I wanted to learn how to catch MONSTER bass I hired Jon “King of the Evereglades” Pate as my everglades bass fishing guide.
He has been an everglades bass fishing guide since 1973 and is the best in the business. He didn’t just bring me out and have me throw shiners around. Not even close.
John Pate taught me how to fish. He took me deep in the everglades and showed me how to locate big bass. Then he showed me what fishing rod, reel and line to use. How to tie the best bass fishing knot. And then she showed me how to cast and work the lure to entice huge bass to strike it.
I learned more in one day with John Pate than I did fishing myself and with other guides for over 30 years.
So, if you really want to learn how to catch trophy bass… the best way to do it is the hire a great guide with a proven track record. Don’t just rely on the hottest new bass fishing lure. Fishing lures are usually designed to catch fisherman. The techniques you will learn from John “King of the Everglades” Pate are designed to teach YOU how to catch monster bass for the rest of your life.
John Pate and his clients catching big bass – VIDEO
Click The Like Button!!!
Most Recent Posts
- Everglades Bass Fishing Guides Big Bass In Just 5 Minutes VIDEO
- Everglades Bass Fishing Guides Awesome Topwater Action Preview VIDEO
- Lake Okeechobee Bass Fishing Guides Catching HUGE BASS In Only 10 Minutes!!!
- Bass Fishing Lake Okeechobee HUGE Bass Caught In One Hour! VIDEO
- How To Catch Big Bass Lake Okeechobee February March 2013
- Everglades Bass Fishing Guides Catching 50 Bass Per Day February 2013
- Gator Boys New Season Mississippi VIDEO – Everglades Bass Fishing Guides
- “TrophyCatch” Program In Florida Offers Prizes For Big Bass
- Everglades Bass Fishing Report Holiday Park Holylands 11-21-12
- South Florida Bass Fishing Report November 16, 2012
- Everglades Holiday Park Bass Fishing Report November 11, 2012
- Meet Ashley And Chris From The Gator Boys Miami Science Day
- Simple Trick To Catch More Bass With Swimbaits And Frogs VIDEO South Florida Bass Fishing Guides
- Florida’s Big Catch Program – South Florida Bass Fishing Guides
- South Florida Bass Fishing Report October 8, 2012 Peacock Bass
- South Florida Bass Fishing Guides – Kid’s Bass Fishing Tournament Results Quite Waters
- Catch A Bass In Florida Win $1 Million – South Florida Bass Fishing Guides
- Florida’s Biggest Python Caught In Everglades – Everglades Bass Fishing Guides
- Fisherman Catches 5 Bass On One Cast! South Florida Bass Fishing Guides
- Killer Whale Almost Kills Trainer At SeaWorld VIDEO – South Florida Bass Fishing Guides
- What Size Baits Catch Big Bass In The Everglades – Everglades Bass Fishing Guides
- How To Attach Weight For Flipping – Everglades Bass Fishing Guides
- South Florida Bass Fishing Report July 15, 2012
- Alligator Attack In South Florida July 2012 – Bites Arm Off Swimmer
- How To Catch Big Bass In South Florida Everglades July 2012
- Snakehead Smuggler Charged With Two Felonies – Snakehead Fishing South Florida
- Bill Dance Catches MONSTER Bass And Let’s It Go VIDEO
- South Florida Bass Fishing Guides – Big Bass In The Everglades VIDEO
- Alligator Attacks In Florida June 2012 – Everglades Bass Fishing Guides
- Peacock Bass Fishing In South Florida Only $250 June 2012 – South Florida Bass Fishing Guides
Tags2012 Alabama Rig angler bass fishing bass fishing guide big bass big bass lures big fish everglades everglades bass fishing everglades bass fishing guide everglades bass fishing guides everglades holiday park everglades holiday park bass fishing guide everglades holiday park fishing guide fishing club fishing trip five pound bass florida bass fishing florida bass fishing guides florida everglades bass fishing florida everglades bass fishing guides florida everglades holiday park Gator Boys holiday park john king of the everglades pate John Pate kevin van dam lake Okeechobee lake okeechobee bass fishing guides largemouth bass MONSTER bass night fishing peacock bass fishing guides south florida peacock bass fishing south florida south florida south florida bass fishing south florida bass fishing guide south florida bass fishing guides south florida bass fishing report south florida fishing report south florida peacock bass fishing guides the turtle man the turtle man video trophy bass